West Clare Gaels take Clare Feile for first time 2013
West Clare Gaels U14 panel have won the Clare County Feile for the first time bringing them to the All Ireland Feile in Derry on the weekend of June 28th
This huge fete for the club came about when the U14 team captained by Megan Downes overcame Doorabarefield in the final on a scoreline of 1-3 to 1-1, having already beaten Kilmurry Ibrickane on a final score of 6-4 to 1-1.
The game against Doorabarefield was a very close game. West Clare Gaels took control of first half with Hannah Murphy scoring the first point from play. Caoimhe Harvey scored a pointed free just before half time. West Clare Gaels played with the aid of the breeze in first half.
The Second half was opened by a West Clare Gaels point from play by Fidelma Marrinan, the next score proved to be the most decisive with a goal from corner forward Aoife lynch.
Doora barefield finally got off the mark with a point from Emer Hanrahan. A penalty was awarded to Doorabarefield which was converted by Hannah Meaney.
The last few minutes were nail biting with West Clare Gales hanging on to finish on a score line of 1.3 to 1.1.
The U14 Feile champions were trained by Ciara and Shauna Harvey.
Megan Downes (capt), Ruth Ferguson, Patricia Foran, Leah Daly, Chloe Elderfield, Sarah Marrinan, Roisin Brew, Siobhan Brew, Caoimhe Harvey, Hannah Murphy, Fidelma Marrinan, Michelle Marrinan, Aoife Lynch, Laura Gibson, Aoife McMahon, Sophie Corbett, Aoife Hassett, Ailis McMahon, Maeve Hanrahan, Leah Harte, Saoirse Lardner.
West Clare Gaels Ladies Football Club
2012 was quite a successful year for West Clare Gaels Ladies with many grades making final appearances.
- The senior panel had a very successful league campaign with group wins against Newmarket on Fergus and Cooraclare as well as a semi final win against Liscannor. Unfortunately they lost out to a much stronger Banner team in the League Final on June 16th. Banner had a very comprehensive first half, a second half comeback from West Clare Gaels wasn’t enough to gain them a win and the full time score was Banner 2-8 West Clare Gaels 1-4.
- The senior championship campaign got off to a slower start for the Gaels with a loss against Banner in round one, however round two and three wins against Liscannor and Cooraclare saw the Gaels through to the championship semi final. An open draw pitted the Gaels against Cooraclare once again, to be played on September 2nd. On a fine day for football Cooraclare were to prove the dominant side and showed a great hunger that the Gaels found hard to overcome, despite putting up a score of 1-8 it wasn’t enough to overcome Cooraclare’s 3-10, and the Gaels had to bow out at this stage for another year. The Senior team were managed in 2012 by Kevin Shalloo and James Troy.
- West Clare Gaels fielded a Junior team again in 2012, managed by Fiona Troy. The Junior team faced much opposition in the form of Kilrush, Doorabarefield, Eire Og, Burren Gaels and Kilmurry Ibrickane. Unfortunately it would not be their year as they did not make it out of the group stages.
- At the time of print the West Clare Gaels minor team reached the Division 1 Championship Final 2012, after games against Burren Gaels, Liscannor, Banner and Newmarket on Fergus. The very successful minors are trained and managed by Denise Geaney and George Roche.
- The U16 team had a very successful campaign in 2012 under the management of Brid Troy and Katie Geoghegan, reaching the Division 1 final following games against Burren Gaels, Kilrush and Banner Ladies. They played Burren Gaels yet again in the semi-final winning on a score line of 5-6 to 1-5. They showed a very definite performance in the final against Banner ladies on May 20th, however they were unfortunate to lose out on a final score of 2-10 to 3-4.
- It was a hugely successful year for the West Clare Gaels U14 team in 2012. After round games against Banner ladies, Doorabarefield, Kilmurry Ibrickane and Kilmihil, the team reached and won the semi-final against Banner Ladies on a final score of 5-13 to 3-2. They played a stormer in the final against Kilmurry Ibrickane and were crowned Division 1 Champions after a 2-8 to 3-4 win in Doonbeg on September 29th. The U14 team are managed by Brid Troy and Katie Geoghegan and captained by Shauna Melican.
- The younger teams of the club were also very prominent in 2012 .The U12 team trained for the year by Tracey and Michelle Downes, contested the Division 1 Championship and reached the final after beating Fergus Rovers in the semi final on a score line of 2-7 West Clare Gaels to 3-0 Fergus Rovers. The Division 1 Final saw the Gaels playing Doorabarefield and it was a tough decider and it took a replay for champions to be crowned. The first day saw a draw with both teams chalking up 3-5 a piece. Unfortunately for the U12 team , Doorabarefield showed a stronger performance during the replay and were crowned Division 1 Champions on a 1-5 to 0-2 score line.
- In under age the U8 and U10 teams took part in numerous blitzes throughout the year and are showing some fine talent shining through. They were lead in training by Tracey and Michelle Downes for the year.
- West Clare Gaels are represented at county level in all grades. Senior representatives are Deirdre Troy, Maria Kelly, Sinead Kelly, Niamh Lardner, Katie Geoghegan and Shauna Harvey. At U18 level the club is represented by Shauna Harvey, Marie Foran and Grainne Harvey. West Clare Gaels players in the U16 grade are Marie Foran, Grainne Harvey and Amy Keane. The U14 representatives are Shauna Melican, Brid Foran, Patricia Foran and Caoimhe Harvey.
- West Clare Gaels would like to sincerely thank all people from the local and wider communities for their continued support to the club. A huge thank you especially to all those who contribute so generously to our fundraising. Your continued support is greatly appreciated.